Sunday, March 28, 2010

Life is too short

Life is too short to be able to master multiple programming languages and tools. So while I would love to learn the new Go Programming Language, Python, AJAX, and a few other cool new things, I keep going back to what I already know, the Java programming language. I can write a small utility faster in Java than if I wrote the same utility in Python; not because Java is particularly productive, but because I do not have to spend time figuring out how to do something in Java.

This is where I think something like the Google Web Toolkit is a Godsend for someone like me. Being able to create a web user interface in Java, without having to know the intricacies of  AJAX, JSP, Java Server Faces, etc. is way too cool. Of course, there is a learning curve here too, but it is a less steeper curve because the language is already familiar.

I am using GWT to create a small application to demonstrate the use of SimpleDBM. I am just loving the experience. Kudos to the Google team for coming out with GWT!

No comments: